Religion must have been useful for it to become so important to us, so we need to understand what that utility was. All we know about god is filtered through the human brain—which thereby becomes the place to start our investigation. The links below explore these preliminaries in some detail.
(Note that the page formatting is optimized for portrait display so that text and blog can be displayed side by side on a wide screen. Changing page width affects figures and their captions unpredictably and sometimes messily. The programmer, not knowing what else to do about this, apologizes profusely.)
- X TOPIC INDEX – Or at least section headings.
- 0 PREFACE — The purpose of religion is not salvation.
- 1 THE BRAIN — Meditation may not take us where we always thought it did.
- 2 BICAMERALITY — Unlike computers, the developing brain writes its own operating system.
- 3 REVELATION — Revelation is psychology, misunderstood as theology.
- 4 STORIES — Religion is best understood as a variety of domestication.
This is a large site and a 1400-page book. Short surveys are available through QuickStart.